5.04.2014

geneva half marathon 2014


I feel like I usually come away from races with a survival story or at the very least having shared way too much about bodily reactions to the run. Finally, a race that went smoothly, nothing rough to report. The weather was cool and comfortable for the run, a bit windy, but that's a minor complaint. We huddled for warmth at the start and finish, but in between was great. Mid-forties fahrenheit is pretty ideal. 

Race day recap: As we walked to the start, Derek proposed we try to stick together, at least for the first few kilometers. We positioned ourselves in the first starting block behind the elites. I planned to start fast so that I wouldn't waste energy aggressively weaving around the crowd while we are still in a bunch, and keep up with Derek for the first 5-10 kilometers, I hoped. So, here we go. The fist kilometer passed, below our target pace, and then the first 5 kilometers- still below pace. I hoped to push it until the 10k and ease off if I needed. We passed the 10k mark in about 44 minutes, still feeling fine, and still together. The next few kilometers became a bit monotonous, flat and straight, but we were counting down now instead of up. After 15 kilometers, I felt pretty strong. We had passed the 1:40 pacer along the lakefront, and I didn't want to see it again as we prepared to cross the bridge and snake through the city streets to the finish on the Pont du Mt. Blanc. Derek and I had exchanged smiles and a occasional comments along the course, now he gave me a little wave as I started to pull ahead. With a quarter of the race to go, I figured he would catch me before the finish, so I held my pace. I spent the last 3 kilometers trying to stride at just the proper angle to pop the blisters that had grown on the balls of my feet. And at 01:35:53, crossed the finish line. For the first time, I turned around to watch my husband cross behind me...exactly 30 seconds later.    

I finished this race with the bragging rights to the fastest half marathon for Team Strom. (Although I've been teasing Derek about beating him in a footrace- neither of us really saw that coming). A little friendly competition is going to give Derek and I both a little push in our training this summer. For now, I'm enjoying this new dynamic in our running duo, and doing a little victory dance. But enough rubbing it in, Derek also PRed today, so it's been a race worth celebrating.    


Find Derek in the starting crowd. Give up? Check the bottom left. Below is a 2 minute pass over the route.



Kilometer splits: 4'35, 4'35, 4'34, 4'27, 4'50 {5k: 23'02} 4'07, 4'21, 4'49, 4'27, 3'23 {10k: 44'11} 4'58, 4'17, 4'34, 4'38, 4'28, 4'44, 4'44, 5'19, 4'43, 4'59, 4'12 {21.1k: 01:35'53}

*Kilometer 10 was short 18 was long.