4.11.2014

carrot cake


Today we celebrated three April birthdays with some lovely ladies. By request, I made carrot cake. It was the first time I've made it, and I'll be making it again...YUM. I made individual size cakes topped with a vanilla rum frosting, and my favorite part- little marzipan carrots (I was pretty proud of those little things).  It's a really textural, moist cake, and of course vegan.


Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup light brown cane sugar
3/4 cup cane sugar
3 egg equivalent in egg substitute
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups finely grated carrots
3/4 cup applesauce
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 celsius).
Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, spice, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl, mix sugar and prepared egg replacer until creamy. Add vanilla and vegetable oil.
Mix wet and dry ingredients together, then add the applesauce.
Add carrots, coconut, and raisins (walnuts would be great too, but I didn't have any).
Spoon into baking papers, tins, or a cake pan.
Bake for 20 minutes (longer for a pan) or until toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool before frosting. Original recipe here.


Frosting

I made my usual vegan frosting- powdered sugar, vegan margarine, vanilla, and rum. Mix them together to desired flavor and consistency.


Cute little carrots

Shape marzipan into carrots by rolling in your palms. Use a knife to make shallow lines and lightly rub with cinnamon to add a bit of color. Poke the top with a toothpick and slip a stem of a something green into the hole. I used dill for the carrot tops. Voilà

Happy birthday ladies!