croz'et raide


Distance: 3.3km
Elevation: +950 m
Route: Crozet telecabine to Mont Oiseau
Conditions: Gathering clouds helped cool the air towards the finish. 208 runners.
Rank: 4 femme scratch, 3 femme senior, 00:48:17
www.lacrozetraide.blogspot.fr TPS article here...I failed the podium scratch.

The vertical kilometer is an all-out uphill battle, the sprint of Skyrunning. I knew this would be a tough race, I'm better at endurance than speed (although speed is coming along), but I think I was closer to quitting this challenge than any point in an Ultra. My calves turned to concrete at the very beginning and my mouth was so dry I couldn't swallow. I was consumed by the wave of racers at the start. While I wanted to compete, I found myself plodding along for the first 200, 300, 400 meters of climb. Maybe I wouldn't make it. 

Eventually, I started to come back into my own legs and control my breathing. When I could run, I pulled ahead and started passing, regaining some of the positions I lost from the beginning, but it was already late in the climb. After passing the Yeti, where Laura and the kids cheered, I knew I could make up some time. I saw Rebecca and her kids high up at the next intersection, and with that boost I finally caught Derek, and powered up to the finish line. The top three women were out of reach, but I was really happy to finish 4th, and still under my goal time. All the guys exceeded their estimates too with flying times- a good day for our Jura Trail Runner friends.  

Coming back down to the Yeti for refreshments.

François Gonon won at Crozet (and would win again in Chamonix at the Mont Blanc Vertical KM next week). 

I was so happy to finish fourth woman, but even happier to make the first place podium for senior women (actually 3rd, but 1st after removing the scratch winners). After a few good finishes, I am not getting any better with the microphone- sorry for my incomprehensible Franglish responses to a totally different question...  

We were greeted by more friends when we arrived at the Yeti for the podium ceremony. And spent the afternoon lounging and enjoying the music festival also going on at the top of the lift. After a relaxing afternoon, we decided to walk back down the trail and head home.