10.28.2013

jura journey


I can't pass this sunny opportunity to spend the day hiking in the Jura...even after yesterday's race. Derek left me at the Thoiry marie on his way into the lab, so I had the day to wander upwards. My legs felt fine, so a half-marathon distance hike wasn't such a crazy idea after all. I decided to connect a small section of the ridge that I haven't done before between two familiar routes, and approach le Reculet from another vantage. This was a longer, more gradual climb than heading straight-up the main trail, and I had it all to myself. 


It was so windy out of the trees, but I ducked close to a boulder to sit and enjoy the view for a while before continuing along the ridge.


Approaching le Reculet:


I came down the typical route, via la Narderans, which was very busy. Lots of us with the same thought - enjoy the warmth before it's gone.


Down in Thoiry, looking back toward the Jura - it seems like we've run out of sunshine for the day. Those clouds came in fast. Off the mountain, I headed straight to the grocery store...that person with muddy shoes, windburn, and a backpack.