7.07.2011

florence, 3


A major bonus for any good physics conference is the conference dinner. This one tops the list for ambiance and view. The group dinner was held at the Frescobaldi Winery. One of Italy's oldest wineries, it has been operated by the same family for 700 years, passing now into it's 30th generation.


Can I just gush about how gorgeous this place is...



We took a tour of the winery, castle, and cellars full of old, old bottles.


The rolling hillsides and the golden light leave me speechless.


Conference group photo:


We tasted several of the local wines with dinner and before on the grassy terrace.


After just two days in the city, I was already in need of some space and fresh air. Even in an inspiring city like Florence, I need to run for the hills, so the cool vineyard breezes were magical. I think I can head back for another day of crowd dodging and rubbernecking, but first, everybody's favorite- time to eat and drink into the starlight (and then sleep on the bus back to the city).