7.06.2011

florence, 2


After walking Derek to the conference venue, I spent a good part of the morning people watching outside the Duomo. It was still early ans tour groups were just starting to gather. I chatted up a few American tourists (who at first thought I wanted to pick their pockets), but really I was just excited to hear English with an American accent. Since "hey, you speak English" has become one of the most common scam starters, I need a new pick-up line. Conference days can be long, even in exciting places, so I was eager for a piece of home and a little conversation. Once the middle-aged, first-time travelers accepted my midwestern roots, I had company for a few minutes.
 

I spent the rest of the day wandering the city. It was hot and my feet grew tired and swollen. I may be able to take 20 mile strolls in the countryside without even noticing, but city walking is a different beast. Although a ways off the beaten path, I found my way to an all vegan bakery. That's right: vegan bakery in Italy. I bought one of every type of cookie, a croissant, pan au chocolate, and a bag of biscotti. i carried my loot back to the steps of one of Florence's many cathedrals and savored my very first vegan croissant (and a few cookies), and found my way to a giant iced-coffee before more wandering in the hot narrow streets. I joined the conference group for an early evening organ and trumpet concert, before dragging Derek all the way across town, back to the vegan bakery for dinner. The food was not so great, but chocolate cheesecake with whipped cream was totally worth the sweat and blisters. 


This is my third time in Florence, and I'm still not standing in line to see the David...although I do want to visit the Accademia one of these days, I've begun an unintentional boycott.