1.01.2011

bonne année


Happy 2011 and welcome to a new year. Did you celebrate? It was a quiet evening around here besides the backyard fireworks surrounding us. 

The end of one year and the beginning of another one helps me remember the best parts of the year past, but mostly the changing year makes me think about what I'd like to change. This year, I have a few specifics, but my main resolution is pretty general: I'm aiming for neutral. 

Yep, that's it. Some people might shoot for a positive attitude, but neutral is more positive (lowered expectations, hehehe). I wouldn't say I'm necessarily a horribly negative snarky person and I'm not over-reaching for bubbly, just stepping it up to neutral. No one is really rainbows and milkshakes all the time, but admittedly, my edited self is a bit more smiley...like here on this blog, and it's good practice for me...so now to editing what sits in my head and slips out of my mouth until it becomes more habitual. 

This resolution came about from a funny discussion, listing appropriate types of statements, and practicing some non-negative expressions. So, now, I am trying to stick to positive, observational, and neutral comments. I considered adding humorous to this list, but sarcasm didn't make the non-negative criteria. I also run into trouble with what I would categorize as observational...but I don't want to limit myself too much. 

Do you feel motivated and inspired? No this is not the previously mentioned sarcasm. It really is a step in a better direction for me. Sometimes I think we all need a reminder to focus on what is good and beautiful in what's around us everyday. 

Wishing you a 2011 better than your 2010, but not quite as good as 2012.