12.04.2010

course de l'escalade


I am not a runner... I wish I was, but I can admit it's just not my thing. Derek and I decided to run the annual course de l'escalade in Geneva this year. Just a few days after a near record breaking snowfall, the decision to allow the race to be run was made at 9 am the morning of. So we caught the 10 am bus to the city for my run at 1 pm and Derek's at 5 pm (my birth year was the cut-off for the junior women catagory...that made me old). The course had been well-cleared of snow and ice, the sun was shining, and it was a nice day for the event that draws 25,000 plus runners to Geneva.  Everything ran according to schedule, but the courses were shortened to 4 km for women and 7 km for men because of a still slick area on the hilly old town's cobblestone roads. Despite my not being a runner- it was a fun course. I don't think I'll be attempting any marathons in the near future, especially those really tempting uphill mountain marathons...but a little jog on a sunny winter's day was nice, and I didn't finish last.