1.30.2010

ski lesson: 3

This week's ski lesson was at Le Gets, also in the French Alps. We had several inches of snowfall overnight, gracing the slopes with beautiful fresh powder. The trip up to the lifts was rather wet and foggy so we were afraid we would be skiing in white out conditions, but as has usually been our luck, the sun comes out while we are riding the lifts up. In three lessons I feel like I have progressed from 1. I need find away out of ever having to do this again, to 2. okay, I don't hate it, to 3. skinig is my favorite, when can we go again. I wonder what next Saturday will bring.

Lesson 3a: Fresh powder is the best. 

Lesson 3b: Be a spring.

Lesson 3c: Once you stop being afraid, skiing can be really fun. I even went off a few small jumps and won some of our group races.

Lesson 3d: Beware of the button lift- it took me out on my first attempt. The next time it flung me 4 feet in the air, but I rode it.

Lesson 3e: A totally parallel wipe out (nose nearly hitting ski tips) means that I'm improving. 

 
There have been some interesting get-ups on the slopes...the penguins are an obvious winner for best dressed. Thanks, Derek, for taking some nice photos on our outings (I can't carry the camera or I would probably break it).

The bus ride home was somewhat magical. Everyone was completely exhausted- it takes a lot more strength and endurance to navigate the deep powder. We watched out the window - clusters of snow gathered on the bare tree branches like spring cherry blossoms - until blending into the silhouettes. Blinking in and out of sleep, we saw the last colors drain from the sky, lulled by Bon Iver. Home for hot cocoa and an turning in early.