1.31.2012

snow day


We awoke this morning to several inches of fluffy snow, and large flakes continued to fall throughout the day. It's been thirteen months since the last accumulation at our elevation, so I was super excited to get out in my snowshoes. First, a cozy morning with wool and thermal, coffee, a warm kitty and a sewing project (but more on that later).


Time to get out and enjoy the snowy day. 


I walked just a few hundred meters before reaching a trail where I could stap on my snowshoes and start trekking the unmarked snow.


I headed toward the river and turned onto a narrow wooded trail. 


All the trees were weighted with the new snowfall and everything was white.


Coming out of this first trail, under huge mistletoe clusters.


Mistletoe:

I spent a little time in the open fields. 


Then made my way to the vineyards.


Crossing the border.


Onto another wooded trail
.

As I looped back towards home, 3 hours later, house lights were turning on across the valley and the snow had stopped falling. I'm hoping with the predicted cooler temperatures, the snow will stay for a little while. It's been great to finish January with a wintery blast- I haven't had quite enough wintery weather, and now, it won't be too long before we start looking forward to spring.